5 interesting things about the human brain

ADVERTISEMENT


They say we only use 10% of our brains – imagine what we could achieve if we made use of the other 90%! Ever wondered just how the human brain actually works? Our gray matter is one of the most amazing things in the world, and we use it every day of our lives. And yet, we seem to know so little about just how the human brain actually works, or how to go about using more of it. It’s our command center, and the most complex organ in the body, so, it would be useful to find out as much as possible about it.

Scientists have been studying the human brain for years, and we slowly make breakthroughs every few years. Just think, the greatest (wo)man-made wonders of the world were all thought up and developed by the human brain. Every idea starts off in the brain, and there are so many things we can credit to our brains. So, let’s take a look at 5 interesting facts about the human brain you may not have known before.

1. It actually has no nerves

Did you know that the brain actually has no nerves of its own? How weird is that?! Despite being the command center for the body’s central nervous system, it is the only organ that has no nerves! So, the human brain actually feels no pain, and would not react to any kind of sensation or surgery, even though the scalp and periosteum do and will feel pain. So, this technically means that you could, in theory, have brain surgery and not feel a thing – but we wouldn’t recommend that!

2. It uses a lot of energy

Despite only weighing around 3 lbs, and accounting for just 2% of the body’s total weight, the brain actually uses quite a bit of energy. In fact, it’s estimated that your brain consumes 20% of the energy in your body at any one time! This means that one-fifth of all the blood and oxygen in your body is used by your brain, while 75% of the total mass of your brain is actually water. This is the reason why exercise is vital for keeping a healthy and well-maintained brain.

3. It’s faster than a computer

Believe it or not, the brain might actually be the most powerful thing on the face of the planet! It is actually said to be more powerful than a computer and can solve even the most complex of puzzles and situations more efficiently. In fact, if the human brain were a computer it would be able to solve 38 thousand trillion tasks and operations per second. But, we can’t perform like supercomputers because we cannot focus all our brain power on just one thing.

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 9.31.27 AM

4. We experience thousands of thoughts a day

It might sound crazy, but, humans, on average will experience around 70,000 different thoughts every single day – imagine worrying about all of them! Of course, we wouldn’t remember all of them, and, forgetting unnecessary things is actually good for the brain, and the nervous system. Furthermore, did you know that laughing actually requires the brain to be active in five different areas?! This gives you some idea of how complex the makeup of the brain actually is.

5. The myth of left and right

We hear a lot of talk about the left-side brain and right-side brain and the differences between them, but these are largely exaggerated. The truth of the matter is that some people have skillsets that are naturally indicative of left-side brain or right-side brain. But, everyone uses both sides of their brain pretty much all the time. You might be slightly more right-side than left, or vice versa, but you’re always using both.

So, is your mind sufficiently blown yet? Not literally, of course, but we do think these are some pretty rad facts about the human brain! It is a truly incredible organ and one that requires a lot of care and attention to get right. So, make sure you look after your brain, and you get the proper rest, exercise, and nutrition needed to make sure it thrives.

maxresdefault (3)

ADVERTISEMENT